Thursday 4 August 2011

For All The Parts Of Us That We Abandon


About a week ago I visited my hometown, the place i left at the age of 9. Living in the place that I do now I always thought of my hometown, ‘Vega’ as having held the happiest times of my life, from the climbing of trees, to the kite flying and the going down to the river to ‘ketch’ fish [and then getting in trouble for going down to the river to 'ketch' fish]. Fun. These memories and more where kept close to my heart in the hope of maintaining my sanity. For our neighborhood was more than just a neighborhood, each family that resided there was an extension of my family. My family didn’t comprise of 4 but of about 100 JUST as loving people. It saddened me when I visited my hometown and nothing seemed familiar to me anymore.

The pleasant afternoon greetings, the children playing together in the streets under the evening sky, parents looking on at their very pride and joy, without worry of the rising gas prices or the feeling of wanting a new car/ something of the  sort… it all became very foreign. Unfamiliar. It was then that I had realized that I had long traded these intrinsic pieces of me, I had traded the pieces of me that made me, Me. Unconsciously I made the choice to leave parts of myself behind, in order to be able to ‘adapt’ to the new neighborhoods, environments and its contents. Sooner than I had realized, I became a part of the image, I was just as aloof as i had previously despised. Their box was somehow 'comfortable', to comfortable almost.  Dulled. Petrified. All that used to be inherent, was lost.

No wonder my spirit always felt tarnished. No wonder i was unable to find simplicity anywhere. No wonder the sanity wasn't tangible.... EPIPHANY......BUT the reformation is still in progress. I WILL remember what it feels like to be free again in an untouched way. I will. I will. I must.

Love and Freedom
 ---Mandy [The freedom fighter]

No comments:

Post a Comment