Sunday 15 April 2012

Day 34

I’ve heard the whisper of divinity through the hearts of the road side dwellers,
Seen a twinkling hope in their eyes
And a strength rooted in the descendants of Daniel

I see beauty in their resistance to normality and apathy.
Passing, I can smell the pain that painted their skins brown;
But the hearts of the lions and lionesses sound louder than any cry for mercy.
So I have smiled at their ability to smile
While sitting in a tub of the most turbulent tides

Out stretched hands often mistaken for that of a beggar.
Little do the ignorant ones know that,
They’re simply asking
Asking for what they deserve
Thrown out of their thrones by cheaters
Whores and sluts who are STILL stealing and usurping more
They’re simply asking for what they deserve
A dollar cannot suffice.

They’re simply asking.

Steal the eyes of an eagle
See the colours elucidate
Let the consuming chorus of the wind concretize reality
Build a canoe out of words and float away
Letting the breath of a vagrant fill your lungs
Make a home in the hearts of savages
Allow sheer sound to shout at your soul
Fate faith into your being
And feel the vibes…

Dear Daddy,
I’m sorry I disappointed you with my words
I’m sorry they summed up to nothing more than nothing at all
Honestly,
Most days these days I’m too tired of or for the hypocrisy
Don’t want to sink in my own skin anymore

Don’t want my self to feel like forbidden treasure
“Never forget your dreams baby” you used to say
Reverently
Solemnly
Truth is Daddy, I never knew any dreams but yours
No passions but yours
Trust, I know you meant no harm
But I was born into this world unarmed and, each year, the continuation of the sciences seemed to saw my soul away
And I said nothing

I saw the sparkle in your eyes
Each time I took brisk blind baby steps towards your field of gold
Golden promises made and struggled to be kept
“Only the strong shall conquer” I've read
I wasn’t conquering
Reading was my only consolation
Lately I have not been conquering
I’m so sorry Daddy

My dream is to walk on worn down roads
Feet bare on the earth
Among the vagabonds and vagrants
I’ll let the rhythm of my breath be in sync with theirs
Dance on road side stages under a sky of unconstrained stars
Beat the African drums with a heart strong enough to drum evil away
Get people to see the beauty flowing in the bloodline of ghettos
I want to train Trinidadians into the brilliance of being
And to teach them what is slavery
I wish to reside, vibe-ing with the vagrants and the vagabonds
Vibe-ing 
Writing the most divine love story with our lives



Kerry-Ann Davis Copyright ©2012
Love, Light and Freedom

No comments:

Post a Comment